In the land of foodblogs homemade almond milk is one of the favorite subjects written about. So I felt the pressure to make it myself. I was curious of how hard it could be to milk an almond, first of all: where is the almond’s nipple? Okay, this is just my perverted mind talking. After doing some research and reading a lot of amazing blogs, I have found a recipe at a blog called Great Body & Skin written by the Dutch model Angela Willemse. She has a nice blog about eating healthy in combination with working-out to get a great body and skin. It is a great inspiration for me.
For a long time I bought almond milk at the organic supermarket, it is sweetened with agave syrup and it tastes quite good when I use it in my oatmeal. This is a great alternative for the usual cow’s milk if you are lactose intolerant or want to bring your dairy-intake to a minimum. I wanted to do it even better and made my first almond milk this morning. It tastes different from the bought version, but it was nice for a first try. The mistake I made was using dates that were of a lower quality. I have learned my lesson; always use the best quality foods, you will taste the difference.
How do you prepare almond milk?
- 1 cup of raw almonds soaked in water overnight
- 3 cups of water
- Optional: 2 Medjool dates without the pit or a little bit of your preferred sweetener
- A blender or food processor
- A nut milk bag or a cloth or an old (clean) pantyhose*
- Drain the soaked almonds and wash them
- Add the almonds into your blender with the cups of fresh water
- Blend it for about 30 seconds (you can add the dates or sweetener)
- Lay the pantyhose over a bowl and pour in the milk
- Wring out the milk and pour it in a empty bottle with a lid (don’t through away the pulp, I will have a good recipe for that) I had about 500 milliliters of milk
- You can keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days
I am not a fan of using it in my coffee; it is just not the same as cow’s milk. You can use it in your oatmeal as I wrote before and maybe make chocolate milk with it.
*I used a pantyhose. I have cut off 1 leg and then cut off the feet, made a knot at the bottom so nothing could come through it.