Mondays are not exactly my favorite days. After looking forward to a weekend with friends, your lover, good food and lazy mornings, Mondays bring you back to reality. After indulging on the Rollende Keukens and at home with my lovely friend Nienke, it is time for some balance. So, I start drinking a lot of water, eat a nice healthy breakfast and make a good salad to reload my vitamin levels. My body loves me and is glad to start off the week with some cleansing, but my mind says: BOOOOOOORRRRIIIIIIIING!
I don’t want my mind and my body fighting with each other, because I am always in the middle of it. So I took my body aside and asked what she really wanted to have. “Oh, I would love to have a nice salad, with loads of veggies, just to recharge myself, because damn girl, you made me work this weekend.” Ok, that was fair, because after having pulled pork and all kinds of heavy foods she had to process a lot. Then I asked my mind what she wanted. “Well, I heard misses Body talking about salads and recharging herself. She is such a diva. For one weekend she has to work and she is complaining already. You know how much fun we had and I really had a great time. What a lovely friends you have by the way. Just give me something that is nice and savory, I was thinking about cheese.” Cheese and salad, huh?! Okay, I can make something the both of them would like.
Body and Mind salad for me:
- One piece of chicory
- ½ green apple
- 6 whole walnuts
- A small piece of good blue cheese
- Olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of apple vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Cut the chicory lengthwise and remove the hard part, then slice into nice pieces
- Cut the green apple in small pieces
- Crack the walnuts and crumble them, together with the blue cheese, over the chicory and apple
- Make a nice dressing with the olive oil, apple vinegar, Dijon mustard and pepper. Pour it over the salad
- Enjoy this healthy indulgence and start off a great week