At the supermarket you can choose from many different cereals. From fruit muesli, to honey pops, to corn flakes, to the ones with extra fibers. Most of the brands claim to be super healthy, but when you check the ingredient list; you will see that it contains a lot of refined sugars, preservatives and many more things that will look better in your trashcan than in your body. Especially the granola’s, those are so crunchy for a reason, ahum… sugar. That is why I prefer homemade foods; you will always know what is in there (like 900 grams of cream cheese in your almighty cheesecake, wowzers!!!) and you can customize until there is nothing left to add.
Is it hard to make your own granola? NO! Does it take a lot of time? NO! Am I wasting your time? YES! Oh… Well, everyone with an oven can do this and you can add all the great things you love. What are your favorite cereals?
I made this batch with these ingredients:
- 2 ½ cups of rolled oats
- 1 cup of Neal’s Yard Omega Mix
- 1 cup of raisins
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
- A baking sheet
- Preheat the oven to 180°C
- Mix the dry ingredients, except the raisins
- Mix the coconut oil and maple syrup and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Stir thoroughly until everything is well blended. If you think your granola is still a bit to dry, you can add some more maple syrup
- Spread it on the baking sheet and form a thin layer
- Bake it for 10 minutes. Then you will have to stir the mixture and add the raisins
- Bake it for 10 more minutes, but keep an eye on it, because it burns easily
- Let it cool and store in a nice glass jar
- Eat it with your preferred kind of milk or with some delicious Greek yoghurt. What breakfast feast it will be!