The morning is my favorite time of the day. Especially when I am the first to wake up. I love the silence around the house, the world is still in a slow pace and it is breakfast time. YUM! Normally my breakfasts are big, because after my adventures in my dreams I need some energy to start normal life again.
Porridge has always been one of my favorite morning meals. Okay, a croissant will put a smile on my face as well, but than after an hour I will get hungry again. As a little I girl I started with the traditional oatmeal and milk, but now that I can cook for myself I wanted to try something different. After searching through some food blogs I saw a lot of bloggers writing about buckwheat. The only Buckwheat I knew was the cute little, pickle-loving boy from “The Little Rascals”, as an educated girl I figured that those two could not be the same. I found out that buckwheat, or boekweit in Dutch, is a great substitute for oatmeal. It is not a grain, but a fruit seed, so people who want or have to eat gluten free can make this recipe as well.
Apart from being gluten free it is also good for you metabolism, the functioning of your liver in processing hormones, medicines and glucoses, and for those who have a high blood pressure; it makes your blood vessels relax a little, because it is full of magnesium.
Buckwheat has a nutty flavor, maybe you have to get used to it, but with my recipe you will fall in love with it. (Not the tv-character, the fruit seed) What are your favorite breakfast meals?
For my Lovely Buckwheat Porridge you will need for 1 person:
- ½ cup of buckwheat
- 1 cups of water
- 1 teaspoon of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of cocoa nibs
- 1 tablespoon of linseeds
- 1 tablespoon of goji berries
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup
- A pinch of cinnamon
- Optional: a dash of milk (almond, rice or cow’s)
- Pour the water into a small pot bring it to a boil
- Add the buckwheat, stir well and turn down the heat
- Let it simmer for about 7 minutes
- Take it off of the stove and pour into a bowl
- Add the coconut oil and stir it through your porridge
- Now you can start decorating your bowl with the other ingredients
- If you think your porridge has turned out a little bit to dry; add the optional dash of milk
Enjoy your buckwheat porridge and start a great day!!